Monday, December 17, 2007

Paint (sigh)

So...I have just finished repainting my kitchen. Yes, REpainting.

My living, dining, and kitchen are all open to each other. They were all a very creamy, beautiful navajo white. Looking back I don't know what was causing me to so desperately want to paint my kitchen...but I wanted to...bad. The problem was I kept feeling the Spirit say "no".

You see, I had just painted my daughter's bedroom a very bright teal. In my mind I could mix the left overs from her room with a gallon of creamy white and make it light enough to work in my kitchen. WRONG!!!! The worst part isn't that the mixing didn't work, but that I proceeded to paint to whole kitchen and dining room with this awefull color. I had convinced myself that this was going to work and nothing was going to stop me.

After I had finished and had left the house for awhile I returned to discover that I had made a mistake. Not only had I painted the kitchen an embarrassingly bright teal, but in not following the guiding of the Holy Spirit, I realised I had questioned God's motives in telling me "no". I'm sure that God would have prefered me to spend my time doing something else, but I believe that at the core of His "no" was the simple fact that He knew it wouldn't work. The color would not be right and I wouldn't like it. His "no" was to spare me work that I would just have to redo, not to surpress my creative spirit. ;-)

I have been on what I can only label a spiritual growth spurt this past year. I guess I forgot that God isn't just interested in removing all the things in us that don't look like Jesus and adding the things that do. He is very much interested in enjoying this life with us. He is interested in being a part of everything that we do. Even the things that seem to have no spiritual significance. Our God is the Creator. He knows everything about everything.

Including decorating.

...and now my kitchen and dining are a creamy, beautiful navajo white once again. :-)

No comments: