Friday, September 18, 2009

We Didn't Get Math Done That Day

Before I get into the details can I just say, "Wait just a cotton-pickin' second! Who is this kid? I know it's not my son. My son doesn't look and act this old. I'm sure of it." Obviously I'm joking and very very wrong. But, MY LANDS! And he is so handsome to boot.

Oh dear. She saw the camera. Can't get anything past her.

"Are you gonna take my picture too, Mom?" Of course, baby. Sometimes, I just want to eat him up.

Finally to the reason my children are doing manual labor. No, they are not laying me a new patio. They are building a fort. By themselves, for themselves. All of their own accord and planning.
They spent the better part of Tuesday hauling bricks from next door to our back yard. Reminder: we live next door to Hubs parents. They weren't stealing the neighbors bricks really. Just borrowing the grandparents bricks. It's totally different. And, yes, my almost four year old daughter is using an adult size shovel.

They were working so hard and with such passion that I couldn't bring myself to make them stop. Hence the skipping of the math on Tuesday.

And they were working so well together. Everyone involved. Everyone contributing. Everyone happy.
And everyone very dirty.

After I told him to smile for the camera, I told him to get down and to STOP CLIMBING ON THE BRICKS!

And this was what they accomplished. Quite impressive if I do say so myself.

Ohp, she saw the camera again. Head tilted to the right, hands behind her back. It's her pose.

Distracted by something in the alley.

Now, they've asked to pour cement on top of the bricks. They are serious about this fort.

Enjoying the fruit of their labor. And making my heart smile.
Bridget

3 comments:

Clark & Danielle said...

fort-building (aka team-building?) was worthy of replacing math, if i do say so myself. what a darling crew you have!

fivemjs said...

Hey, can you call me? I don't know your school schedule and don't want to interrupt anything. Call any time. I love and miss you!

Marianne

Jenni McCadams said...

I've got some flagstone that needs to be laid. Could you please send them over??