Monday, September 21, 2009

The Wildlife Refuge

The last weekend in August we spent a day at the Wildlife Refuge. It is beautiful. And the weather couldn't have been better. The car in the pic is our friend's, but the picture is actually of the mountains. What is it about mountains that are just so awe-inspiring?


We stopped on the side of the road so Hubs could go to the bathroom to get a refuge map and saw this buffalo. Fearing it might be the only one we saw I jumped out of the van and crossed the road to get a picture. Isn't it cool with the mountains and the lone buffalo?! I'm naming him Skipper.


Obviously unbeknownst to me we would find a whole herd of buffalo right down the road. And they were so conveniently located. Parking spaces and a wooden fence to keep our children from joining the herd. Very cool.


I like this guy. My legs look eerily like his hind legs when I stand with them together. I'm calling him Mo. It's short for motivation - the get my hiney in shape.


I love the summer and all the cute baby animals! What are baby buffalo called? Hang on, I'm gonna go google it.

Well, that was silly. Most call them baby buffalo. Answers. com says the scientific name for baby buffalo is bison. I don't think of baby buffalo AT ALL when I hear bison. We'll stick with baby buffalo.


Look at those horns. I am tempted to name him horny in honor of my mother. But that sounds so wrong so I must explain. When my mom was in junior high she went around calling everything 'horny'. "That's so horny" would follow most any silly or ridiculus thing. Finally, someone asked her why she kept saying that. "It's like corny", she replied. Nope, Tam, its not. AT ALL. =)



This was the only orange baby buffalo. Therefore I will call him Steve.

This guy was cool. Too cool for skool. I'm naming him Danny.


Danny Zuko.

There were also prairie dogs chillin with the buffalo. They didn't mind us taking their pics at all. Obviously used to the paparazzi. Quite the posers.


These three were their own little clique. They kept leaving me out.


They left her out too. Look at em. Staring her down. So we made our own club.

She let me take her pic all I wanted. And she didn't turn her back to me. I'm calling her Betsy. Not sure why. I just associate the name Betsy with really nice girls. Weird, though, cause I've never known a Betsy. At least I don't think I have. Oh dear, now I'm worried that I know someone named Betsy and just can't remember. sigh.


Betsy was happy to have a friend. And so was I.

Goodbye Betsy. I'll remember you always.


Now, this little diva was something else. Hid in her hole, which happened to be outside the fence, and barked at us. Her little prairie dog bark.

I don't know if she's gonna make a run for it or if she's about to attack. I'm pretty sure she could take me. I should take a few steps back.


I think I finally won her over.


Here's about the only picture with any sort of spacial reference for you. We were super close to these animals and it was super cool.

Bridget

1 comment:

Ro said...

Looks like fun & I'm glad you have so many bison friends. I even prouder that you can keep all their names & faces straight.
With love!