Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Apples, Apples, and More Apples

Last year I found a website that had lots of fun information on apples. I don't know what it is about September and the start of school but it just feels like apples. Fall...teachers...pie. I thought it was the perfect time to learn about apples.

Well that never happened.


Then, this year didn't quite start out as planned and the best laid plans and all that and September went by with no apple activities.

So I decided to modify things a bit and instead of weeks of apple activities we would have an afternoon of an apple activity.


We first went to the Walmarts and bought one of every type of apple they had. Twelve different kinds. We took return labels and labeled the apples as we individually bagged them so we wouldn't forget which was which.

Then at snack time we cut each apple in half and laid one half on a paper plate with the name of that apple on it. We sliced up the other half into six slices so each person could have one. I would read the name of the apple and a little information about it and then we would eat that slice.

There were some definite favorites and some definite misses.

Bobo's favorite was the Cortland, Bear's favorite was the Granny Smith, and Popeye's favorite was the Gala. Princess liked them all.

I had never tasted all the apples and it was very interesting tasting them next to each other. There are some very distinct differences. And now when I buy apples I might actually know what I'm doing.

Bridget

1 comment:

Clark & Danielle said...

mmmm... i love fuji. so crisp and sweet!