Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lighting the Way

Lamps have been getting a makeover at my house lately. This lamp used to be on my desk until it got a new home in Princess' bedroom.
I'm gonna change the white ribbon out for white gimp. The ribbon doesn't lay flat like the gimp will. This fabric is actually from my sister's house. She gave me the leftovers from her curtains. I love it. The green is very similar to the green on the walls in Princess' room and it looks fabulous with her main fabric!
This is the lamp in the dining room.
It came from Ikea. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's just a little too plain for me.
Notice the new curtains. They're faux silk. I love them.
Here's the shade after I added a little gimp. I had actually taped the gimp around a different lamp in my living room and loved it, but decided that the dining room fixture needed it more. It's a tiny change, but I love how it makes the fixture look so much more finished. It's just enough of a small detail. I just measured up from the bottom and down from the top one inch and drew a line with a pencil. Then I glued the gimp on with hot glue. It's not perfectly straight, but it's much better than I could do free hand. And from a normal distance, not a camera close-up, you can't see the imperfections as well. The gimp is a deep blue-green. One of my favorite colors.I love it when a small change makes a big difference.
Bridget

3 comments:

"Quotesy" said...

I love little changes! It's more of a challenge for me to discover them.

Tobias Valdez said...

It's not a challenge for me, I notice them all as soon as I walk through the door. I'm THAT GOOD!

Bridget said...

Everyone, move away from Tobias. Lightening is about to strike.

=)