Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Green

I've been in a green mood lately. I took a color personality test at HGTV.com and was told my color personality is green. It just confirmed my thoughts. I had been wanting to add more green to my decor in my home. So my new curtains are green and one wall in my living room and one wall in my dining room are green. It feels nice. Bright. Cheery.

I'm taking a new approach to decorating lately. I'm focusing more on the atmosphere of my home than on the look. Don't get me wrong. I want my house to look good. But I also want it to feel good. So I have been doing two things in particular to meet my goal.

1. I have been praying. Asking God to fill my house with His presence and peace. I want people to notice God's presence (even if they don't realize that is what it is) when they enter my home. God has shown me some things that can encourage His presence and some things that can discourage His presence. And the most important thing that can do either is MY ATTITUDE. Also, God has shown me how important it is to guard what I allow into my home via tv, computer, radio, and even people. I'm not saying that I only allow people that see everything eye to eye with me into my home. I'm saying that God gives me discernment as to who He wants me to open my home to. And what I've found is that most of the time God has said "yes, let them in". But occasionally there is a "no".

Lately I have been filling my home with music (all kinds), wonderful smells, and lots of fresh air. Not that this is entirely new, but I am making more of an effort these days. When you are at home 90% of the time these things really help.

2. I have stopped focusing on a specific 'look' for my house and have started focusing on what makes me happy. I'll be honest, I used to decorate with others in mind. What will people think when they come over? What does my decor say to people about me? And I decorated with a focus on trying to make sure those questions were answered to my liking. Not any more. I am the one who lives in this house. I am the one who notices the little things. I am the one who spends most of my time here. So now I am choosing things that make me happy. Period. Not everyone is going to like or 'get' my house. Not everyone is going to notice my cool factor by seeing how my house is decorated.

I love my home! God is answering my prayer! (mostly by changing my attitude) And now instead of looking around and seeing the unfinished things or the things that aren't quite right; I see a home filled with God, joy, and lots of opportunities to exercise my creative muscles. And I am beginning to love the process instead of focusing on getting to the finished product.

And this post is a great analogy for my spiritual life as well.

1 comment:

Tobias Valdez said...

Don't worry Bridget, we all notice your "cool factor!" : ^ )