Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Things

I had my first spam comment. Yup. It's on the last post, check it out but don't really check it out. So...I have changed the way we do comments on here now. You will have a word verification and I will have to approve all comments before they will be seen on the blog. I know it's more work for all of us, but this is the way it must be. And, NO, this post isn't just about spam comments.

I have noticed that lately my blog has seemed to have a serious/negative/bummed vibe. At least from the comments I'm getting (some people respond via email) that is the way it is coming across. Well, when you aren't with me in person on a regular basis I can see how it would seem that way. The reality is that I only share a VERY SMALL portion of my life on the blog and I guess that lately I have shared the struggles more than the joys. So...for the next 7 days I am going to blog everyday and give you all a better idea of my life.

Day 1.

Today it is storming. I enjoy a cloudy rainy thunderstormy day every once in a while. As I am typing the kids are making tents in the living room out of every blanket we have. This is quite a luxury as I usually confine the tent making to the bedrooms but due to the weather and the fact that we won't be playing outside today the living room it is. And yes, we have already finished morning school.

I have a friend who has five children. Four boys and a girl. She works in the home full time with a small side business. Just recently our pastor and his family purchased some new sofas so they gave their sectional sofa to my friend. It is wonderful and fits in her living room perfectly. Plus, it is much newer and more modern than her old sofas. Because of this gracious gift my friend and her family had a garage sale to get rid of the old furniture. Well, my friend has a large family and had been asking God for a large dining table they could all fit around. A few days later at a school thing ( I can't remember what it was, maybe a baseball game ) she was asking some women if they knew of any places to buy dining furniture at good prices. One of the women said "I have a dining table and six chairs I will sell you." My friend has seven people in her family, but the woman had bought it at a local store and my friend could purchase two more matching chairs from the store. My friend was able to purchase the table and eight chairs for much less than they made at the garage sale and it looks fabulous in her house.

I tell you all this because I have been asking God for a new dining table also. Not for the same reasons however. My house is small (we think around 1200sq ft) and the table I had was too big for my dining space. Just this weekend the opportunity for a smaller table that is in the family was available. It works and didn't cost us a thing. I do hope to purchase slip covers for the chairs and to build a little bit bigger top for it, but frankly I'm thrilled and God is honored!
Also, a couple of weeks ago, Bobo was looking through one of RC's music catalogs and decided he wanted a drum set. I encouraged him to ask God for it. He immediately went to his bedroom and prayed. When he returned he told me he had asked God and I had to explain that it may take some time. Well, my friend, who just got the new sofa and table, has very musically gifted sons. The second oldest has a drum set that he is talking to us about bringing to our house and keeping here for a little while. (he and RC really enjoy hanging out and playing music) Saturday night at the Curvine concert my friend's son came up to Bobo and Bear and was talking to them about drumming and bringing the drum set over. (he has been giving them exercises to practice) After he left, Bobo sat next to me and said, "Maybe this is the way God is giving me a drum set." My heart leaped for joy! That Bobo would be perceptive enough to recognize a gift from God even when it isn't how he expected. No, God didn't give him a drum set, or give him the money to buy himself one, or give his parents the money to buy him one. But God is bringing a drum set to him to practice and learn on and he is grateful. And so am I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you still want a dining room table....we have one. =) It is natural wood and has 6 chairs. The chairs need to be fixed but it is in pretty good condition.

LOVES!