Saturday, April 26, 2008

Oops! Sorry!

I just checked my email this morning and realized I forgot to post something yesterday. And yesterday was a very postable day. My husband had a radio remote from a neighboring town. They were having a RattleSnake Derby. Apparently, this is a big deal and something they have been doing for years. When my MIL found out where RC was going she encouraged me to take the kids and told me that when RC was in 2nd grade he went to it with a friend. How cool! This first pic is just to give you an idea of what it was like. They shut down the town square to cars and filled it with booths like these. Very carnival like. They even had carnival rides but they weren't opening till that night.
Yes, Bobo is holding a rattlesnake. Don't freak out grandparents. The teeth and poison have been removed and the mouth has been sown shut. Susan (MIL) is going to try and find the picture of RC holding one when he went.
Popeye didn't want anything to do with the snakes. I'm actually surprised to see him touching it in the picture because right before taking it I was trying to get him to at least pet it and he was having none of it.
They had cages filled with rattlesnakes that DID have teeth and poison and no sowing shut of the mouth. The pic isn't great because there were two screens on the cages with about a three inch gap between. They made sure no one could stick their fingers in. Hearing all the rattles going at once was kinda freaky, and this snake was looking right at us.

This is Popeye's airbrush tattoo. Bobo got his first and he had already started when I asked if they took checks or cards and of course the answer was no. I only had a ten after the snake pictures and so only Bobo and Popeye got tattoos. Bear and Princess get a little surprise from Walmart today.
Here they are waiting for RC to finish his remote so we could go eat lunch together. It was a really fun day and we learned that if a rattle snake has less than four rings on it's rattle then it is a girl, if it has more than four rings on it's rattle then it's a boy, and if it has four rings on it's rattle then it could be either. Don't go to court on that, but it's what one of the guys there told us. And just in case you haven't tried this already, you can click on the pictures and they will get really big and easier to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was in Mangum right? My college roomate grew up there and told us all about it!!! =)

Laughing Momma said...

You are the coolest Mom EVER.

Thanks for the tid bit on the rings on the tail...I hope I am never that close but I guess it is good info to know.

One question? How does the de-teethed, de-poisoned, mouth sewn shut little booger eat?

And send me a email with grades and what kind of stuff you need so i will know when I go through all this stuff.

April

ps you have to go read the new post on LPM....HILARIOUS