Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Life Changers

OK, so the title might be a little dramatic.

The Life Changers I am talking about are books I've read and movies I've watched that have greatly impacted my life. Though I've been thinking about this post for a few weeks now, I've only come up with one book and one movie to recommend right now. I've read many books and watched many movies that have impacted me. I just especially wanted to share these with you.

End of the Spear by Steve Saint

This book is written by the son of one of the five missionaries who were killed by a tribe of Amazon Indians in the fifties. Some of the wives and children of these five men then returned to the tribe and were able to introduce them to Christ. Seriously, this book is AMAZING! It is an easy read and so so so engaging. I hated putting it down.

What I thought I wanted out of life was turned upside down by reading this book. Someday when I have grandchildren (God willing) I want the stories I share with them to be about the adventures God took us on. I want the stories to be about ways that God showed up and showed off. I understand that everyday living is the meat of real life, but I don't want to miss out on those God opportunities because my attention is focused on other things. Like getting a new couch, going on a certain vacation, or a family illness. This book made me aware of how much I want the life God has planned for me. I try now to be more aware of what I'm willing to give up or willing to do to have that life.

This book isn't trying to teach us something. This book is a story. A story about what God does when we do whatever He wants. The ups. The downs. The in-betweens.

It does, however, come with a word of warning. DO NOT rent the movie by the same name. If you feel you must watch this movie then do so AFTER you have read the book. Honestly, I can appreciate the effort but it doesn't do the book justice. Also, I recommend watching the documentary about this story after reading the book. It is called Beyond the Gates of Splendor. I recommend watching it after reading the book because you will then know the people you are watching and hearing and it makes it that much more interesting. The documentary is wonderful.

The Nativity Story

This movie didn't quite have the impact on the world that The Passion of the Christ did, but I actually think that is very fitting for this movie. Sometimes we hear a story so much that we assume we get it. We assume that we can put ourselves there. See it as it would have been.

This movie fills in all the gaps we leave and even opened my eyes to some things I had never thought of. While this movie didn't cause me to make major life changes it did cause me to hear the story of our Saviors birth in a new way. Not different from the story we read in the Bible, just full of the little things we so easily miss. I don't want to be too detailed and give things away so I hope I'm still making sense.

I realized through this movie how truly humble our Saviour's birth was. Not just because He was born in a stinky barn, but because so few people realized the enormity of what was happening. And God let them go on unaware. He demanded no fan fare. No royal entry and treatment. So many have heard the story in our day. I never realized how few heard it then. Life went on. Our Saviour was a tiny baby in the arms of a young women and most people treated Him like every other baby. God with us. Treated just like us. By us.

I pray these recommendations impact your life in some way also. I know they won't impact you just like they impacted me. Our God is so wonderfully personal. So what are some books or movies or CD's that have impacted you lately?

Please share.

Later folks!

1 comment:

Tobias Valdez said...

Alright...books: The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge and Brent Curtis (I think). The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning...I cried.

Movies: Luther...(The Story of Martin Luther), I must agree, The Nativity was an eye opener.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are many others, especially in the book category.