Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Obsessed?

Maybe. I like the movie, so I think about it from time to time. Ask my wife about Pride and Prejudice. I've been re-reading my previous post. Man, the movie is good. God has given me a mind for things. I think part of it is discernment in areas that not everybody sees. Sometimes when I read scriptures, things just leap out at me. At first it was quite frightening, but I've developed cat-like reflexes. I can also see things in movies, tv shows, songs, books. Even a dream or two. Allow me to draw from the movie a little more.

WARNING: If you haven't seen The Dark Knight, and would like to, then take caution in reading on; I may spoil a few things for you. Also, if you haven't seen it, and can't get anybody to go with you, buy my ticket and I'm there. I don't know if my wife will let me buy any more.

Not only is the movie great allegory for the fight between good and evil, I can see Batman as a Christ-figure. No, Batman did not, nor does he, die on a cross for our sins. No, he is not God's only son. No, it is not a perfect representation; there is only one of those. I shall now explain:

In the movie, Harvey Dent is seen as Gotham's white knight. He is the new district attorney, and he is taking a stand against corruption and the mob. The mob comes after him. The Joker gets to him. He loses a very dear loved one, half his face, and his mind. He becomes "Two-Face". He ends up killing a few people. Batman inadvertently kills him.

Jim Gordon and Batman are down and almost out. The Joker "took the best of us and tore him down," says Gordon. Batman says the people must never know what Dent did. Batman tells Gordon to say that he (Batman) killed those people. That he can be whatever Gotham needs him to be. In order to sustain the reputation of Gotham's white knight, Gotham's dark knight becomes the "bad guy". Sounding familiar yet?

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." - 2 Corinthians 5:21

Batman basically said to put it all on him. Gordon says they'll have to chase him. Batman says he can handle it. Jesus took on our sin. We chased and crucified him. He handled it. In fact, Gordon's son says, "why's he running, Dad?" "Because we have to chase him." "But he didn't do anything wrong." Gordon then goes into a great little speech about being "the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now."

Jesus didn't do anything wrong. He is the hero mankind needed and needs. Now and forever. Do we deserve it? No. But that's the gift of grace. Did Dent's reputation deserve being spared. Not necessarily, but the hope of Gotham depended on it. The hope of the world depends on Christ. More than a white or dark knight. He is THE TRUE KING!

Obsessed? Sure. But not with what you think. Just the King and His stories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you. And I love the mind God has given you. And I'm so glad you are obsessed!

Bridy