Friday, August 8, 2008

Skip Carey Part 2

The following are a short tribute to Skip Carey from MLB.com and his most classic (and my favorite) two calls for Braves baseball.

The Tribute:

THE Call: I was praying so hard during this game. I was in my bedroom watching, and my parents were watching in the living room. There were two outs in the bottom of the ninth, the Braves were down by a run with Sid Bream, one of the slowest men in the game on second base representing the winning run, and Fransisco Cabrera was at the plate. Did I mention there were two outs? Barry Bonds was in left field for the Pirates. Fortunately, he's never been known for his throwing arm. No movie could ever touch this script.

I don't think I ever jumped so high or cheered so loud in my life. I flew into the living room, "did you see that?!!" My mom was whooping and hollering, too. My dad was trying to get us to calm down. I still get teary-eyed every time I see this clip.

The Championship: It was a Saturday night. I was doing my request show in KKVO radio in Altus, OK. My parents recorded the game for me. I remember asking them at one point what the score was. 1 - 0. The tape was waiting for me on my bed when I got home after midnight. I watched with great anticipation. It was well worth the wait.

The only World Series Championship Skip Carey got to call. It'd be cool to call a championship someday. Any kind of championship. I often wonder if I'll get to celebrate this again. If I do, it won't be the same without Skip Carey calling it.

But I do know that I will enjoy it. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still get the biggest goosebumps watching those clips. And I remember going to school and Mr. Cox giving me Fransisco Cabrera's baseball card after that hit. Good times... good baseball.