Monday, August 4, 2008

Skip Carey

One of my favorite all-time voices. If not my most favorite. He called Braves baseball games for 33 years. I boycotted TBS when they quit televising Braves games. I miss his voice. Now, I won't get to hear it again. I just read where Skip Carey died in his sleep Sunday afternoon. He was 68.

It just adds another notch to the "bad year for the Braves" belt. Big fan. Always have been. Past three years have been tough to watch. This year not so much, because they haven't been on tv.

Skip's death just bums me. What bums me most is, I'm not sure he was a believer. If he was, then praise God! He's home! If he wasn't, then...well...I only thought things were bad for the Braves.

Skip Carey and Pete Van Weiren were my faves. Classy broadcasters. The kind I want to be. Sad day. I can't believe one of them is now gone. Gone but not forgotten. Thanks for the memories, Skip.

Do you know Jesus Christ? He's God's only Son. He died so that we may live. I hope Skip knew that. I pray you will if you don't already. Let's talk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never was much of a Cubs fan, but my Granny and Grandpa Davenport were devoted fans. They would watch every game from their living room rocking chairs. I remember Mr. Carey's distinct voice as he would call the game. It brings back a lot of memories of him and of my grandparents. I know he'll be missed in baseball, just as they are missed here.