Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gamut and Grace

Yes, I got out my dictionary and looked up how to spell gamut. And I was right. =)

Last night, after visiting McNana to celebrate her 82nd birthday, I decided to give the big boys a break and let them take their shower first. Usually, the little ones shower first while the big ones pick up the bedrooms. This works nicely for me because I have to help the little ones shower and I don't have to help the big ones clean.

But last night I decided I would help the little ones pick up while the big ones showered and then help the little ones shower.

Nice Mama.

The picking up was going ok, a little..really a lot... of prodding and VERY specific directions as to what to pick up and where to put it and we were making some progress.

Until...

I was straightening the books on the bookshelf and Popeye's bowling pin...

...fell on my head.

I'm not kidding. Hit me right on the left side of my forehead. There's a knot and everything.

Instantly I was mad.

And as I continued to pick up I just got madder.

First, all mothers know how kids pick up. It is why we mothers have to occasionally pick up their rooms ourselves. They rarely put things where the are supposed to go. This started to really tick me off as I found stuff under the bed, the trashcan overflowing, and clothes not put away.

Then I heard all the ruckus coming from the bathroom and realized the big ones had been in there much longer than they are supposed to be and I got madder.

So, I opened the bathroom door, yelled: get out, NOW!, and headed to the kitchen to wash some dishes.

Passing through the living room and seeing the toys everywhere I fumed about how tired I was of always having things to pick up around the house. Things that weren't even mine!

In the kitchen I noticed hubs sitting in the batcave playing with his new phone and I had to shut the door so I didn't have to witness his obvious betrayal of not helping me.

Then I started washing the dishes and the Holy Spirit started whispering into my heart.

"You know that bowling pin shouldn't have been on top of those shelves. Would you rather it have fallen on one of the kids?"

"No, Of course not. If it had to hit someone on the head I'm glad it was me."

"You know that being in the shower too long isn't something that warrants you yelling like that. They were laughing and having fun. Would you rather them hate each other and wear scowls all day?"

"No, of course not. It is a blessing how much they love each other."

"You know that the only other option to a messy house filled with children is a clean one without them. I know you don't want to make that trade."

"NEVER."

"And you know that you should have been washing dishes and picking up the house earlier, but you chose to play on your new phone instead. Your husband did his work when he was supposed too and now is getting the chance to rest and enjoy his new phone. I know you don't want to be the nagging wife that only takes and never gives."

"NEVER."

By the time I finished washing the dishes I was at peace once again. And so very appreciative of my family and of my God.

Last night my emotions ran the gamut and God's grace met me where I was.

Bridget

8 comments:

fivemjs said...

Wow. The Holy Spirit had a nice talk with you! I could use one of those.

Tobias Valdez said...

Good conversation indeed! Thanks for sharing.

I laughed a very big laugh out loud because of the line that had "McNana" in it. I've known her my whole life (really) and have never once thought to call her that. That's a fabulous nickname!!

Lisa said...

Awwwe! Don't we mothers all have those exact feelings, but then God always has His way with us!

Ro said...

Thanks for being so brutally honest. I usually go through the first part of that (maybe not with a bowling pin, but the rest) but rarely get to the good stuff where I hear from God. Thanks for letting me hear what God was saying to you! Love ya!

Laughing Momma said...

Great post!!!

I so know all about that Gamut!!!

I tend to run it ro and fro all day long.

Thanks for sharing the conversation with me...and how did you know that you are my ONLY friend in OK???? Just kidding. When I find a box I ill load up the good stuff and send it your way.

April

Carol said...

Whew! That was good. I often go to those places of frustration and anger and then fail to listen to the Holy Spirit speaking to me. That's because I'm yelling too loudly.

Laughing Momma sent me your way and I'm blessed because of it.

Thanks for your honesty. I'll be checking back often, if not following your blog. It's a blessing to build each other up.

Sanchezfam said...

God was so good to have shown you the things he did. His revelations are priceless. I'm sorry for your head but thankful it wasn't the kids.

Andrea Jane said...

That was an absolutely amazing post...once again emotions are great, they cause us to make changes. Way to let the Lord lead you in the direction of what He wanted to be learned from that. Love you my older and more wise sister! You are the best!!