Sunday, February 24, 2008

Deposits and Withdrawls

Our Pastor gave what I think is one of the best reasons for reading the Bible frequently today.


Besides the fact that God tells us to, (Study the Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. Joshua 1:8), the example our Pastor gave has put a picture in my head that I think you all can appreciate as well.


Jesus told his disciples (and meant it for His future disciples as well) in John 14:26 "But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative - and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit - He will teach you everything and will REMIND you of everything I myself have told you." Our Pastor pointed out that for the Holy Spirit to be able to REMIND us of something He has to have said it to us first. God speaks to us through His Word and if we are not listening to Him by reading the Word, studying the Word, memorizing the Word, listening to the Word, then how are we going to have anything for the Holy Spirit to remind us of? Our Pastor's example was this: You can only withdrawl from the bank as much money as you put into it. If I only put in $1 then I can only withdrawl $1. The amount of money that I have to deposit into my bank can be limited by many factors, but the deposits I make into my spiritual bank are only limited by my willingness or lack thereof to make Jesus Christ and His Word priority in my life.


It is my prayer that we all will make DAILY deposits into our spiritual banks. My recommendation is to start reading the gospels. Want to know Jesus better? That is a great place to start. Read one chapter in the morning, think and pray about it throughout the day, and then reread it before you go to bed. I began doing this last summer and it became a catalyst for my hunger for God's Word.


We might not have fat bank accounts in this world but we have no excuse other than ourselves for not having a fat spiritual bank account. Our God is supernatural and I cannot explain with words how this will change your life, but I can guarantee you that it will.

Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is full of living power.

1 comment:

Laughing Momma said...

WOW!!! two really great posts. I loved them.
Hope you are having a good school week.
April