Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Instinct

Two Sundays ago, after church, I was standing on the stairs that lead to the balcony of the sanctuary/theater with my youngest son. He was just a few steps up from the floor holding some papers from children's church and his gameboy. His hands were full. Suddenly, my "spider-sense" went off and I turned to see him stumbling down the stairs. However, not being trained on my "spider-sense", I did not react in time to try to catch him. It was like a scene out of the Matrix.

As he stumbled, his feet stayed put on the step they were on, and his knees hit the step below. Then, as he's falling forward, sure to do a face plant into the tiled, lobby floor, he quickly releases everything from his grip and springs his arms forward to catch himself before he hits ground zero! Wow! It was actually pretty cool; like a superman discovering his powers, or something. He stayed there, with legs up on the stairs and hands on the ground holding himself up like a strong ninja move, or something.

I said, "whoa, buddy, are you alright?" He said that he was, and I helped him back up and gave him a high-five for his actions. His papers and gameboy were ok, too. I couldn't believe his wits. He was aware enough to let go of everything in his hands to catch himself and keep from getting hurt. I just knew he was a goner. You know, what 4 year-old kid knows to drop his gameboy and save his hide? I was impressed with his instinct.

A few days later I was driving and heard the Gloria Gaynor song, "I Will Survive". I immediately thought of the episode with my son and his instinct of self-preservation - his instinct to survive. I guess that instinct comes naturally to us. Or, at least, to most of us. Adam and Eve had to develop that instinct after they sinned. One of the first things they did was fix some clothes to hide their nakedness.

Yeah, looking out for "#1" usually comes pretty easily. What's not so easy is looking out for the other guy, or taking care of others. That's more of a pastoral instinct. A pastor is more like a shepherd. He is to care for, feed, protect, and love his sheep. Jesus is the Great Shepherd. This particular instinct came naturally for him. It's not so easy for us. We have that other instinct with which to compete.

A pastoral instinct comes from spending time with God. The more we read his words to us, the more we talk to him in prayer, the more time we spend with him, the more we become like him. While some people are given an extra grace and anointing to pastor, the pastoral instinct is one that, I believe, can be developed in anybody. But like anything else worth having, it takes time and discipline to learn. Some learn it easily; some don't. But, it is the instinct that needs to prevail.

Don't get me wrong. An instinct of self-preservation is important, too. Especially if you're stumbling down some stairs. But, when it comes to dealing with other people, we need to learn to sacrifice a little. Jesus said, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) If people looked out for their fellow man more than themselves, I believe this world would be a much better place in which to live. Don't you? Let's show the world His love. Let's develop the right instinct.

Be encouraged.

No comments: