Friday, January 18, 2008

Obedience

Last spring I started praying a prayer as often as it came to my mind. I literally would pray it upwards of 50 times a day. This is it:

"Lord, please steal my heart and consume my mind."

Well, folks, that is what has happened. The reason I usually post about what God is telling me or doing in my world is because it really is the thing I think about most. He has stolen my heart and is consuming my mind! Praise God! I am a very different person from this time last year and the thing God is using most to bring about this change is His Word. I have known a handfull of people who love God and live life like I want to. The one constant among these people is their love of God's Word. They love it AND live it. It is a BIG part of EVERY part of their lives. I decided that to follow in their footsteps that was where I needed to start.

I had been the casual christian for so long. Doing little over the minimum. I struggled with fear, joylessness, selfishness, disobedience, and so many things. I tried in my own might to accomplish things for Christ and was very rarely successful. Of course, I would ask the Holy Spirit for His help, the problem was I didn't heed His instruction after asking. I continued to do it my way. I am in no way saying I am perfect now and no longer struggle with the things I mentioned above. The difference now is that the struggle is becoming less of a struggle. I have joy in circumstances I once didn't, I don't have fear in circumstances I once couldn't fight it, I choose obedience and selflessness more and more now. I still have a long way to go (see previous post:-)), but this road is the one I want to be on! This road is the one where the real adventure is!

All this to say something God has brought to my mind the last few days and yesterday spoke it to me very clearly (through an online Bible study). I know I keep talking about Beth Moore, but God is using her tremendously in this season of my life. Beth just returned from a trip to Angola this past year. She went with James and Betty Robison to help them in their mission to feed starving children. While there, a person within the organization explained to her that they can't just give the people seed for them to plant because the people are usually so hungry that instead of planting it they just eat the seed and then it really does them little good. On the way home from Africa God showed Beth how this scenario can apply to us spiritually. The Word of God is the seed and I believe so many of us are so spiritually hungry that we eat the seed instead of planting it into our lives. We read book after book, do Bible study after Bible study, listen to sermon after sermon in our pursuit to feed our souls but what we miss is actually applying the truths we are hearing or reading to our everyday lives. We still refuse to forgive, or tithe, or stop feeding our minds with meaningless things, etc.. Our heads become filled with knowledge but our lives remain unchanged and our souls remain starving. I have to insert here that none of this is of any importance without a real live ongoing relationship with Jesus. He is the reason (and ability) for it all. But my relationship with Jesus has been strengthened and blessed beyond measure by my loving the Word. After all, Jesus is the Word made flesh. God has cautioned me to not just eat the seed, but to plant it into my life. To let it grow and produce a harvest. A changed me and a glorified God!!!!

The most practical way that this is accomplished is through obedience. Obedience in the things the Bible is very clear about and obedience in the things that God tells me are just for me. Example: HGTV (home and garden tv) is not in and of itself bad, but it's effect on me, particularly when I don't watch it in moderation, is discontentment. I become discontent with what God has given me and desire the new and latest things. It entices me to pursue material gain. God has told me that His desire is for me to drastically limit my viewing of HGTV. Here's where I choose obedience even when it is 7:55 pm on Thursday night and a new episode of Candice Olsen Divine Design is about to come on.

I literally could write a novel on examples because I am so bent toward sin, but what I get in return for obedience is the peace of Christ that passes understanding, true joy even when life is hard, and a clear conscience that allows me to greatly enjoy being in the presence of Jesus. I know I've only touched the tip of the ice berg in this area because I have a lifetime ahead of me to choose obedience, experience Jesus, and witness His power and glory. I don't want to miss a minute of it! And I don't want you to miss it either. Please take that next step in your relationship with Christ. Whatever you feel He is asking you to do or not do, obey! I promise, but more importantly Christ promises, you won't regret it!

I love you all!

No comments: